Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Deposit Setup for Amended Tax Return

David94
Level 3

Hi,

I filed an original tax return with a tax due, but I am now preparing an amended tax return that will result in a tax refund.

I would like to provide a bank information for direct deposit on an amended tax return, but I have difficulties in doing so. I have checked the box for direct deposit on the information worksheets. But the bank information is not appearing on Form 1040-X Electronic Filing Part III Smart Worksheet. 

Please advise me on the necessary steps to ensure that the bank information appears correctly on Form 1040-X Electronic Filing Part III Smart Worksheet.

Thank you for your assistance in advance,

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I think on amended returns a refund will be sent by check. 

ljr
Level 8

currently amended returns will not direct deposit. I believe I saw somewhere that they are working on that for the future. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS announced that theyre doing direct deposits for amended returns but I dont see a place for the banking info on the actual Form 1040X, so Im not sure if its really happening.

Amended returns (even Efiled ones) are taking 4-6 months to process, the time difference between a direct deposit and waiting for a check will be negligible. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Beginning in processing year 2023, Direct Deposit can be requested for electronically filed amended returns for tax year 2021 and tax year 2022. Mar 28, 2023 at the IRS. doubt that ProSeries will make that change right away.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ahhh, so we probably wont see the form change update in the software until next summer.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
KimDole
Level 2

I found a work-around for this issue.  Instead of entering the amount paid with the original return into the 1040-X worksheet, I entered it into the Tax Payments screen (with the date my client paid the original tax with his return).  If it is entered this way, the "Direct Deposit" information should automatically populate for you on the amended return.

Update: I noticed when I view the 1040-X, the direct deposit information shows on the worksheet, but it does not show when I print the 1040-X, so I am not sure if my work-around will actually fix the issue.