Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desk Pens, technology update, low tech but tech

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I am almost exclusively preparing returns with my clients here.. They have their own monitor where they can see their taxes prepared.  There is a good bank that I use, Huntington Bank that used to have tons of free pens for their customers.. I asked them if they had extra pens and they gave me about 100 of these pens.  I have one or two on my desk for my clients to sign.. My supply of desk pens is dwindling due to mostly folks walking out with them or I throw one out here or there if my client "contaminated it" by sneezing or licking their fingers when turning their pages.  I have never said, hey, can you leave that desk pen.. I just let them walk off with it but my pen supply is dwindling and may have to ask the bank for some more.

6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a fee now for those pens? Do they give anything away for free now even if you have a million dollars in that bank? Just my opinion

IRonMaN
Level 15

We have a mask policy in our office with individually packaged masks sitting on the front counter.  I don't know how many clients have come in, dropped off their stuff on the counter and turned around and ran out with their free mask.  I am going to put a camera out front so I can start keeping track who just takes them and runs just so I can start billing them.  The masks are free but the fast path fee to put them on the counter are going to cost $25 ------------------- you can learn a thing or two from Intuit if you stick around here long enough 💰

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

you can get them to sign for them but if you do the intuit e-signature it would cost 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive got WAY too many pens, I ordered from 2 different places forgetting that I had a couple hundred in a box in my storage room....Im begging people to take pens with them, you touch it, you take it!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dascpa
Level 11

I try preparing much of the tax return when the client is here, but I get too many large dividends, sale, crypto and then 24 different 1099-R's.  It takes too long to enter while they're there.  So most of my time is spent organizing their papers, opening their friggin envelopes, seeing what we're missing (always am), and then talking about kids and grandkids.  Meetings are much less productive these days.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Im begging people to take pens with them"

That's your problem, they know you want them to take the pens.  Pretend you are guarding them with your life ------------ they will be gone in a week.

Slava Ukraini!