Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEPRECIATION PERCENTAGE WILL CHANGE IN THE NEXT YEAR

shf1957
Level 7

This year I have a client that started to rent out their town house starting for July-December.

My issue is that they used it personally in those 6 months for 42% of the 6 months.  So what I did was take the utilities for those months x 58%.. etc..

My question is since i am depreciating the building for 1/2 year and only 58% of that what happens or do i do next year when it becomes a different percentage?  Do I just write the percentage on the depreciation form and change it each year?  When i put the number of days on the top of the schedule E, it gives me a larger amount than if you use the calculator.  Maybe a full year in the rental  and that day count will work out.  HELP.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
dkh
Level 15

If it were me with this problem, I'd procrastinate in determining how to handle it for next year until next year.

And by me responding, it pushes your post back to the top of the list for others to see that might have a true answer for you.....😉

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If I remember correctly, the rental and personal days on the top of Schedule E do NOT affect the depreciation.

Assuming that is still the case, you need to manually enter the proper percentage each year for depreciation.

Does that help?