Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

depreciation of a qualified nonpersonal vehicle (school bus)

lyndaj0331
Level 4

Does anyone have any experience with depreciation of qualified non-personal vehicles?  It is a school bus.  The last one was purchased before all of the qualified property options and was depreciated as asset type Z using the SL method for a recovery period of 12 years.  That was done by someone else and doesn't really apply to this new vehicle.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Buses are depreciated over 5 years (9 years for ADS purposes).

I'm not aware of any restrictions for how to depreciate it. You can use Straight-Line, 150%DB, 200%DB, Bonus and/or Section 179. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What is your question?

What does "all of the qualified property options" mean?

If the prior method of depreciation was incorrect, you may need to file Form 3115 to fix it.

0 Cheers
lyndaj0331
Level 4

This is a new bus purchased in 2023 - I feel like i should still be using asset type Z, but not sure about the recovery period and/or method.  Also, was wondering if any bonus appreciation options might be allowed with qualified non-personal vehicles.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Buses are depreciated over 5 years (9 years for ADS purposes).

I'm not aware of any restrictions for how to depreciate it. You can use Straight-Line, 150%DB, 200%DB, Bonus and/or Section 179. 

lyndaj0331
Level 4

Thank you.

0 Cheers