Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEPENDENT CHILD WHO IS FULL TIME STUDENT AGE 24 END OF 2021 AND GROSS INCOME $20,322

TAXATION
Level 4

Would the student child qualify as a "Qualifying Relative" or do they have to meet all the 7 test rules to be claimed?

1 - DEPENDENT CHILD WHO IS FULL TIME STUDENT AGE 24 END OF 2021 AND GROSS INCOME

OF $20,322

2 - and still lives with her parents who provided her support in 2021

3 - student paid her own college tuition (if parent cannot claim her then she should be able to claim education expenses?

thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

At that age and that income level, she doesn't qualify to be someone else's dependent.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

At that age and that income level, she doesn't qualify to be someone else's dependent.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

You can use IRS resources. This has all the links for what you ask:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

Just did one very similar to this and quickfinder has excellent flowcharts. Recommended.

TAXATION
Level 4

Thanks but don't use Quick Finders

0 Cheers
TAXATION
Level 4

Thanks that's what I thought I appreciate your response.   Also, being she lives with her parents and they provide her support EXCEPT she paid the tuition she gets to claim education credit

dkh
Level 15

Quickfinder is a great resource to use.

TAXATION
Level 4

So is “The Tax Book” someone recommended.

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah the tax book is also excellent. I purchased it years ago, but at that time, I don't believe it had a section on nonprofit 990 returns. That is why I stay with quickfinder, but it wouldn't hurt to have both of them. Just my opinion.