Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delaware 8453

LilFos
Level 3

Has anyone noticed the Delaware efile authorization form 8453 is no longer visible. I know that we had a software update today for the non-resident return AND I had just finished a return for a client and printed the 8453. Now when I enter the clients state return the form is a no show and does not appear in the forms list.....I shut down and restarted, not sure why, but it is a no show. WHAT UP???

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LilFos
Level 3

One more thing. I do notice in the DE state EF instruction form it states that "No taxpayer signature document is needed". Though I am a bit leary of this since up until today the signature requirement and the form was listed. Not sure what gives here and I have been on the phone with support and I wish they would change the music a bit while waiting!!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Do you have Deleware selected as state for e-file on federal info sheet?

0 Cheers
LilFos
Level 3

Yes I do. Sorry I should have mentioned that 

0 Cheers
LilFos
Level 3

I have been printing these things all along while waiting for the update to occur

0 Cheers
LilFos
Level 3

Even when I go into print options to print a blank form, it does not show in that listing either.

0 Cheers
LilFos
Level 3

When I go into the EFile center I do see that the return is marked for EF. Everything looks fine except no form 8453. 

0 Cheers
LilFos
Level 3

One more thing. I do notice in the DE state EF instruction form it states that "No taxpayer signature document is needed". Though I am a bit leary of this since up until today the signature requirement and the form was listed. Not sure what gives here and I have been on the phone with support and I wish they would change the music a bit while waiting!!

0 Cheers
Hpierce0512
Level 1

Did you get this to print.....thei first return I printed had this form but the ones I am printing now are not showing the DE-8453

0 Cheers
LilFos
Level 3

Well if you notice on the DE EF instructions. It is indicated that the taxpayer signature is not required.

Everything else regarding e-filing looks fine. So I have been going under the assumption that DE has removed the signing requirement. Other states do this as well. For example, North Carolina.

Also, dingbat me, if you notice the DE 8453 that you had been printing shows 2020 as the tax year.

I think this must have been a programing thing. Thus, the need to wait for the final update.

0 Cheers
Hpierce0512
Level 1

Thank you!  I only printed one and didnt notice it said 2020 ..so your not alone 

0 Cheers
hpostal
Level 3

Just for the record.  I spent more than an hour trying to find out how to send a non-existent Delaware DE-8453 because "Delaware does not accept Electronically "signed" Electronic Authorizations to file".  The form US 8453 is for attaching documents to tax return or not.

US 8879 "IRS e-file Signature Authorization" is NOT REQUIRED by Delaware.

Thanks CoPilot "Artificial Intelligence".

Thanks ProConnect🤐 for running me around in circles.

Copilot

I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced with ProConnect Tax not automatically generating the DE8453 form. Let me provide some clarification:

1. Form DE8453:
    • The DE8453 form is used to send supporting paper documents that are required by the IRS with e-filed returns.
    • Only the specified forms or supporting documents listed on Form DE8453 can be submitted using the form.
    • When filing a Delaware state tax return, clients cannot electronically sign the authorization form (such as Form DE8453).
    • Instead, the client will need to provide a physical signature on the authorization form.
  2. Generating Form DE8453:
    • ProConnect Tax does not automatically populate Form DE8453 because it is not one of the forms that are automatically generated.
    • However, you can manually create Form DE8453 within ProConnect Tax:
      • Go to the Input Return tab.
      • Select General on the left-side menu.
      • Scroll to the Form 8453-Overrides section.
      • Select all of the applicable forms in overrides.
  1. Client Signature:
    • You will need to acquire the physical signature from the client on the completed Form DE8453.
    • Once signed, you can retain the form for your records.
  2. Delaware's Requirements:
    • Delaware does not accept an electronic authorization to file.
    • While the authorization is not required by Delaware for electronic returns, it does allow electronic returns to be filed by a preparer.

Remember to review the allocations carefully to ensure accuracy before finalizing the return. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask! 😊1.

Source(s)

1. How to generate Form 8453 in ProConnect Tax
  2. How do I populate form 8453 - accountants.intuit.com
  3. Proconnect Not Populating Date or Signature on efiled 1040s - Reddit
  4. Signature requirements when e-filing state tax returns - Intuit
  5. Delaware State Tax Return Information – Support
  6. Delaware Income Taxes and DE State Tax Forms - e-File
  7. Individual Income Tax Return RESIDENT - Delaware
  8. Which states require their own signature authorization when ...

You

The linked form is for 2016. It is not that Delaware does not accept electronically signed authorizations because they do not require authorization after 2016.  No mention of authorization is shown on the 2023 website.

Copilot

I apologize for the oversight. Thank you for pointing that out. Let's address the current situation regarding Form DE-8453 for Delaware state tax returns in 2023:

1. Form DE-8453 for 2023:
    • You are correct that the linked form was for 2016, and it does not accurately reflect the current requirements.
    • As of 2023, Delaware no longer requires a separate authorization form (such as Form DE-8453) for electronic filing.
  2. Electronic Authorization:
    • Delaware now accepts electronic signatures for the authorization to file.
    • Clients can electronically sign the authorization within the tax software (such as ProConnect Tax).
  3. No Physical Signature Required:
    • Unlike previous years, clients do not need to physically sign and return an authorization form.
    • The electronic submission of the return with the client's electronic signature is sufficient.
  4. Compliance with Delaware's Requirements:
    • As long as the return is properly e-filed with the electronic authorization, it complies with Delaware's requirements.

Again, I apologize for any confusion caused by the outdated information. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask! 😊1 2 3.

Source(s)

1. DE-8453 INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX 6 DECLARATION FOR ELECTRONIC ... - Delaware
  2. Delaware Form DE8453 (Individual Income Tax Declaration for Electronic ...
  3. Delaware Form DE-8453-OL (Individual Income Tax Declaration for Online ...
  4. Printable 2023 Delaware Form DE-8453-OL (Individual Income Tax ...

0 Cheers