Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferral of Self Employment

KatSoFab
Level 1

Clients are now starting to receive letters from the IRS regarding the deferred self-employment tax. I've seen the letter and it is not clear that it is a bill. Can Proseries please make a client analyzer report so we can see all of the clients that have deferred SE tax? We plan to reach out to our affected client base to make sure they understand how to proceed. Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on this?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Deferral should have been an option you explained about and gave them the choice for at the time of tax preparation.

I was told the letter also had a payment voucher included, does it not have a portion to tear off and return? (none of my clients opted for this deferral, so I wont see any of the letters)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

It's not a Bill; it's a Reminder.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-self-employed-individuals-and-household-employers-repay-deferred-so...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sewcpa
Level 5

The tear-off voucher/reminder does not have an amount (their choice to pay half this yr or all of it or something else) Also has taxpayer name/address/social and IRS Ogden address zip 84201-0059.

Letter number is LTR3064C

Or can be paid thru EFTPS and maybe on IRS website

Clients are likely to need hand holding

I did this on my own return and maybe 2 or 3 other clients but I do not remember which ones choose this option either. Therefore an analyzer question would be helpful. I plan to get a few phone calls!

PATAX
Level 15

I doubt if there will be an analyzer report for this so you may have to do it the old-fashioned way and go through the clients files... You should already have a pretty good idea who is self-employed and who is not self-employed, like retired elderly people, dependents, etc... just my opinion

BobKamman
Level 15

Client analyzer to find those who paid SE tax:  Available

Client analyzer to find those who paid SE tax on a balance-due return:  Possible

Client analyzer to find those who told you they wanted to defer SE tax but have such short memories they need a phone call to explain it once again:  Priceless

Cost of a second  line so people can reach you while you are reaching out to others who may have better things to do before a Labor Day weekend:  Check with your local phone company.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Or can be paid thru EFTPS and maybe on IRS website"

The link I gave lists the specifics.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.