Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEBIT CANCELLATION

jim_wakem
Level 3

I have a client that has debit cancellation of a home in 2019. I know there are new rules for the 2019 tax year on this but can't find anything  need some help here.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Use this button on the toolbar when you need to find a certain form or worksheet, saves tons of time!

WHEREDOIENTER.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This is from Nolo  if you search canceled mortgage debt rather then debit, you might have better luck.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-updates/mortgage-forgiveness-tax-break-extended-through-2020.html

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

from IRS: read full text here. https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc431

Generally, if you exclude canceled debt from income under one of the exclusions listed above, you must reduce certain tax attributes (certain credits and carryovers, losses and carryovers, basis of assets, etc.) (but not below zero) by the amount excluded. You must attach to your tax return a Form 982, Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness (and Section 1082 Basis Adjus... to report the amount qualifying for exclusion and any corresponding reduction of those tax attributes. For cancellation of qualified principal residence indebtedness that you exclude from income, you must only reduce your basis in your principal residence.

jim_wakem
Level 3

Your info was good and thanks,  there is or was a form where you could list all your assets and liabilities to figure the amount you were upside down, do they still have such a thing and if so what is the form ? I thought it was the 982 but that isn't the one I was looking for

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Work sheet is in Pro Series Pro if that is what you are using, click on where do I find, and type "canceled debt worksheet"

0 Cheers
jim_wakem
Level 3

ok now not to be a smarty because I am still a little green at this where do I find the where do I find in pro series pro 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you have a client open, on the menu on top a small green box with a ? mark

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Use this button on the toolbar when you need to find a certain form or worksheet, saves tons of time!

WHEREDOIENTER.png

jim_wakem
Level 3

THANK YOU 

0 Cheers
jim_wakem
Level 3

thanks it was the ticket