Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cx owes $36 to the FED. Why is Pro Series printing up 1040-ES totally $8552? It just confusing the clients and me, too.

chapguy19
Level 4

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There is an Estimated Tax Worksheet, and at the top it gives you various options for generating 1040ES's.

But as was mentioned, you may want to give them to the taxpayer and explain how the 110% thing works, so the taxpayer can make the decision for what to do.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
abctax55
Level 15

1)  What's a Cx?

2) Did they have estimates paid for 2021 (even tho they now only owe $ 36)

3) 110% rule depending on income.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
chapguy19
Level 4

Cx is short for client.

Did not pay estimates.  All taxes paid were through their W-2.

110% doesn't apply here since Pro Series doesn't know what their tax liability was last year.  This is my first year with them.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

check the box to not have estimated vouchers print on the 1040 ES Wks

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@chapguy19 wrote:

110% doesn't apply here since Pro Series doesn't know what their tax liability was last year.  This is my first year with them.

110% rule means that the 2021 tax return is used for the 2022 Estimated Payments.  I suspect that is why it is happening.

abctax55
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/estimated-taxes-for-individuals

What is the AGI?  And the computation is based on this year's info... which PS must have the return worked up to the point of knowing your *Cx* owes $ 36.

Perhaps you've selected the 110% option (I assume PS has that, Lacerte does) ?

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

Where is the box to not have the 1040-ES printed.

It's not on the 1040-ES.

Thanks,

Christopher

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

I've never seen the 110% option in Pro Series.

AGI, Line 9, is $375503.

0 Cheers
chapguy19
Level 4

How do I turn off the 110% rule in ProSeries?

Thanks,

C

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I can't help with the software issue - I use Lacerte.

But be careful "turning it off" - discuss with your client.  IF they have a penalty for not doing 110% when the 2022 return is done - they'll likely blame you.   Been there with a client two days ago; I had to remind him that HE chose the smaller amounts after the rules had been explained to him this time last year.

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There is an Estimated Tax Worksheet, and at the top it gives you various options for generating 1040ES's.

But as was mentioned, you may want to give them to the taxpayer and explain how the 110% thing works, so the taxpayer can make the decision for what to do.