Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CP22A - No Explanation

msmith7305
Level 7

I've had 2 clients receive CP22As that ask for additional tax but there is absolutely no explanation of what caused the change. What is going on with this? In the past, every notice I have seen included the reason for the change by the IRS.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What is currently the best way to get a POA to the IRS?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

CP-22A's are often related to changes resulting from info provided by taxpayers.  Perhaps your clients have had some interactions with the IRS recently?

I have seen at least one CP-22A that had a very brief explanation on the first page.  If we hadn't prepared that amended return, we may not be able to make the head and tail of what that's about.

Agree it's probably the most expedient to call the PPS to find out what caused the increase in tax if your clients had not been in contact with the IRS (or received any prior notice).

The simplest way to submit a PoA these days is via the online service but the good old fashioned way of submitting PoA's with wet signatures by fax still works:

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/submit-forms-2848-and-8821-online

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

and they tell you exactly what to do and how to do it!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7

Thanks for replies. The notice is in response to a 1040X. The tax calculated by IRS does not agree with the tax calculated on the 1040X.

You would think they would offer an explanation..

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I suppose you have already checked that the difference is not interest charges, the calculation of which should be detailed on the CP-22A.

Pull a transcript and see what's been changed. 

If you still can't figure it out, get a PoA and call the PPS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
msmith7305
Level 7

Not the interest. It is the increase in calculated tax due.

0 Cheers