Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CP14 - Any Way Around Calling?

dascpa
Level 11

As I've pushed more and more for online tax payments I've found after numerous clients have received balance due CP14 notices that the IRS is misposting when the "spouse" makes payment, even though it's a joint tax filing.  On the accounts within the IRS it shows as posted to the spouse but it is generating a past due balance with penalties and interest to the first SSN on the return.

One client waited 8 hours on the phone, another was lucky with only two hours after a transfer.  I have three more today.  Anybody know of a way to get monies moved without having to call the IRS?

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I saw another preparer encouraging people to file  a SAMS report on this issue...I dunno if it will really do any good, but the squeaky wheel and all, yanno?

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/systemic-advocacy-management-system-sams?fbclid=IwAR2fXHxZaAvXz6kyCid9Y...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dascpa
Level 11

Never heard of a SAMS report so thank you.  I just filed the report.  It goes to the Taxpayer Advocate's Office.  My guess is it will be processed and fixed by the IRS at the same speed ProSeries fixes many of our software problems and software requests.  Anybody have an immediate solution to this problem other than each taxpayer calling the IRS?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Id just send a copy of the proof of payment with a snotty note telling them to get their act together.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ljr
Level 8

After a few clients getting this notice and them all calling upset that they paid we tried the call the IRS route. Obviously that didn't get them anywhere so we are going to try this:

send a copy of the cancelled check or print out of the online payment to the IRS with the payment voucher request to the address they want the payment sent to. Hopefully when the IRS opens it up and sees no payment they review what was sent and fix it. Fingers crossed. 

Amajane285
Level 3

This seems like a HUGE violation of the Taxpayer Bill of rights.  Especially #3 - "... and to have the IRS apply all tax payments properly"

dascpa
Level 11

I've now had 18 clients get balance due notices when the spouse had logged in and made payment.  No one is happy with me when I tell them to wait on hold with the IRS for 8 hours.  I always tell them to call at 7am, not 7:01.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Shocked.  IRS SAMS just called me.  A case was opened and they want me to send examples.  In one week someone responded.  Don't know if it will help down the road but I'm pleased (at the moment).

Amajane285
Level 3

That's great!  We received the following less impressive response in less than 48 hours via email:

"We are sorry, Systemic Advocacy cannot address individual or business account issues or tax questions, however you may receive assistance with your inquiry by searching the Internal Revenue Service website at www.irs.gov or contacting the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040 (individuals) or 1-800-829-4933 (businesses).  The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) also provides guidance for common issues in the TAS Toolkit available at www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/."

0 Cheers