Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't make this up if I tried

PATAX
Level 15

Just received an email, NATP newsletter: Fincen has warned that there's already a scam concerning BOI! Unbelievable, they're not even accepting any filings yet, and I don't even think they have the form developed yet, but there are already scammers lining up. Sounds like this is going to be another government created nightmare. I hope Congress repeals this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

On a positive note, it sounds like the scammers are more aware of the BOI BS than most of the folks here.  Give them an A for effort --------------------- and then throw them in jail.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, that certainly didn't take long. 😀

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

The law doesn't go into effect until January 2024.  In all fairness, IRS isn't accepting any 2023 returns yet either.  Although I suppose fiscal-year returns filed on 2022 forms might be a profitable scam.  

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman @IRonMaN the NATP email correspondence said people are being contacted via email or mail by scammers telling them to go on to a website concerning BOI related matter.

IRonMaN
Level 15

On a positive note, it sounds like the scammers are more aware of the BOI BS than most of the folks here.  Give them an A for effort --------------------- and then throw them in jail.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN You hit the nail on the head with that one Iron Man. People do not know about this BOI BS. I called an attorney who has handled matters for some of my clients, to ask her about this BOI matter, and she did not even know about the Federal BOI or the Pennsylvania BOI! And she is very smart and thorough, in addition to being honest.

BobKamman
Level 15

This law was part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021. The final version of the bill was agreed on by the House on December 8, 2020, and the Senate on December 11, 2020.

The bill was presented to President Trump on December 11, who vetoed it on December 23, because it renamed military bases that honor Confederate officers, and because it did not repeal Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, which shields internet companies from being liable for what is posted on their websites by third parties.

The House of Representatives voted 322–87 to override the president's veto on December 28. The Senate voted 81–13 to override the veto on January 1, 2021.

(Five days later, the Electoral College votes were counted . . .)

PATAX
Level 15

Most of us are not political party ideologues, so it does not matter to us who voted for this or against this. They just need to do the right thing, and either repeal this, or incorporate the BOI questions directly on the tax returns that we and/or businesses already file.

sjrcpa
Level 15

But-various law enforcement agencies will have access to the BOI database. I don't believe they have access to IRS tax return data.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

Billions upon billions of dollars was given away to fraudsters Via "PPP Loans" and "unemployment claims". But I guess making Grandma Jones' little LLC company register for BOI is much more important.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But Grandma Jones has those little beady eyes ————- someone better keep an eye on her.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Yeah you're right Iron Man. Her husband was Grandpa Jones from Hee Haw Fame. "He rolled around the bend and then he came back again".

PATAX
Level 15

That's about "Mountain Dew" for those who have their mouths open and drove on the little buses to school.