Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contributing to a Sep IRA

mickey
Level 4

I have a new client who runs an S Corp.  Year 2021 is my first year with him.

He asked me to work up a scenario to see how much he should contribute to his SEP IRA for himself and his employee.  I looked at the books and saw that in Sept of 2021, he made a contribution to the retirement account as this is when he usually contributes, before the corporate taxes are filed by 9/15.

So, I believe the amount I'm seeing on his Quickbooks is for the 2020 contribution.  It doesn't quite match up with what the previous accountant reported.   It's off a little.  

1.  My first question is, how to report the SEP contribution made in 2021 (as recorded in Quickbooks) for the 2020 tax year, on the current 2021 tax returns?  Do I add it in as an adjustment somewhere and then calculate the 2021 contributions (see question #2)?

2.  Second question, he asked how much he should contribute for 2021, i.e. he wants me to compute a couple of scenarios to see how his K-1 net income can be affected by different contribution amts.  Does anyone know of an easy way to do this?  And what documents do I need to have in front of me to do this? 

Thank you!!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

1. You don't. It was deducted on the 2020 return and shown as a payable on the 12/31/20 Balance Sheet.

2. You need the SEP Document (for the eligibility criteria), the W-2s, Employee Census (age, date of hire, date of termination, hours worked). Put it in a spreadsheet. The contribution can be zero - 25% of eligible wages.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

1. You don't. It was deducted on the 2020 return and shown as a payable on the 12/31/20 Balance Sheet.

2. You need the SEP Document (for the eligibility criteria), the W-2s, Employee Census (age, date of hire, date of termination, hours worked). Put it in a spreadsheet. The contribution can be zero - 25% of eligible wages.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I believe the amount I'm seeing on his Quickbooks is for the 2020 contribution."

If it's off by a little, did you confirm it isn't exactly what was supposed to be paid in for the year before that?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers