Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecticut Credit for taxes paid to other jurisdiction

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I am encountering an issue e-filing a CT return that has a credit for tax paid to NY. I called intuit support and they are totally useless. if anyone had a similar issue and figured it out, I would really appreciate if they let me know. See details below:

Client is resident of CT and pays taxes to NY. The NY IT-203 has been completed and e-filed. However, his CT return was rejected for a code that says "You must indicate the state you paid tax to while a resident of CT." I completed Schedule 2 in CT showing the income allocated to NY and taxes paid to NY, and NY is marked as the state there. The credit is flowing through on the CT1040. I marked him as a NY NR and CT Resident in the federal Info worksheet part XI. The wages that gave rise to the NY withholding are allocated to NY both in the NY NR Allocation worksheet and on the W2 itself. He also had unemployment and a small real estate loss allocated to NY and that is marked on all of these worksheets as well. At this point, I don't know what else I could possibly do, if there is another place I have to mark or indicate a NY NR filing I would love to know where it is. 

One note, while running the diagnostic for CT I did notice it says a copy of the other state return must be attached when e-filing, or the credit will be denied. I did so, but when attaching the form the only options in the Type field were "Other" and "Form 1310." This is not a 1310 situation, so I picked other and wrote "NY IT-203" in the description field, but the return was still rejected. The support person on the phone indicated there should be an option for "OS Return" in type, but that because Proseries is not showing an error for the pdf not being attached, the option is not showing up. This seems to me like it may be the issue but they said no, it's not because the code doesn't say anything about the return not being attached. At the very least I think it's symptomatic of the software wanting something else to marked to indicate there's an out of state credit but again I'm at a loss where that would be. 

Any ideas welcome. I DO NOT WANT TO MAIL THIS RETURN!!! 

0 Cheers