Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code for claiming Child for Head of Household

Norman2001
Level 7

Hello,

I have a divorced client with one 17 year old child. The child lives with her.  My client lets her ex-spouse claim the child as a dependent on his tax return every other year. For 2021, the ex-spouse will claim the child.  

My client can still claim head of household, since she is the custodial parent. My question is, what is the correct code to enter to enter for the child in the dependent section? I think it is "Q", then complete the section in the Head of Household filing status section. 

I called Proseries support. The support person said she couldn't answer the question because she is not a tax person and this is a tax question. So I asked to speak to a tax person and her response was "there is no one in the company that is tax person. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Q would be correct

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Q would be correct

Norman2001
Level 7

Thank you

DEVOR711
Level 2

there is no one in the company that is tax person...very unbelievable...sad...

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Funny, too.

But @Norman2001 They are supposed to be software support. They are not supposed to help with tax questions.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's why they pay us the big bucks - to answer both tax and software questions.  Ok, we get paid diddly, but they should be paying us the big bucks ------------------ at least a few of the little bucks --------------------- hey, maybe they can spare a dime once in awhile.  Someone remind me once again, why we do we do this?

Slava Ukraini!
Norman2001
Level 7

It just seems odd to me that a company that writes software that is compliant with the tax code doesn't have a tax person in the company.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Norman2001 wrote:

that writes software that is compliant with the tax code

What makes you think Intuit's software is compliant with tax code?  LOL.