Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing of S-Corporation

chj63
Level 2

In closing of S-Corporation, 100% share holder, with enough basis, how to 

file final 1120 S.  Do need to concern about recapture of past depreciation expense?

How do you close balance sheet accounts information?  Thank you very much in 

advance  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chj63
Level 2

Dear sjrcpa,

Thank you again for your thoughtful comments.

The S-Corp. has been operating on custom order business, as a result there no receivable.   At the closing of year end, there is no payable.

The business has been operating on loss recent years, and shareholder has been using his own personal funds (as additional paid in capital) to keep his business operating.

Regarding fixed assets, only small amount remain yet to be depreciated.

Cash are not yet distributed to the shareholder.  There is enough stock basis due to additional paid in capital, cash would be distributed to the shareholder without tax consequence. 

My concern is how to finalize Form 1120-S in year 2019.  Or do I need to go over to year 2020 for the distribution.  Operation of business has been ended as of 12/31/2019.    

Thank you for your time and consideration.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

What happened to all the amounts on the balance sheet?

Ex-AllStar
chj63
Level 2

Thank you for your comment.

What I am considering now is:

Zero out balance sheet amount and distribute the amount through Schedule K.

S-Corporation would be completely closed.

The shareholder would report the amount to the shareholder's 1040 based on Schedule K-1.  

Thank you very much in advance for your time and consideration.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Again- what happened to the assets on the balance sheet (cash, equipment, accounts receivable)?

What happened to the liabilities on the balance sheet?

Were they sold? Distributed to the shareholders?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
chj63
Level 2

Dear sjrcpa,

Thank you again for your thoughtful comments.

The S-Corp. has been operating on custom order business, as a result there no receivable.   At the closing of year end, there is no payable.

The business has been operating on loss recent years, and shareholder has been using his own personal funds (as additional paid in capital) to keep his business operating.

Regarding fixed assets, only small amount remain yet to be depreciated.

Cash are not yet distributed to the shareholder.  There is enough stock basis due to additional paid in capital, cash would be distributed to the shareholder without tax consequence. 

My concern is how to finalize Form 1120-S in year 2019.  Or do I need to go over to year 2020 for the distribution.  Operation of business has been ended as of 12/31/2019.    

Thank you for your time and consideration.

0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

1120-S p1-2 line H check box 1 Final return