Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client rcvd a 1099-R with a code 1L-client paid loan off in full. Called company-they said they dont issue corrections and to work with the accounant to fix it. Help!

dianejhart
Level 4
They paid the loan in full prior to leaving their job. Company said he has to have accoutant fix it. Is there a correct way to fix this? Thank you in advance.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

"they said they dont issue correction"

That would tick me off.

I would have the client email HR, and if possible, "cc" the CEO, Vice President, etc. of the company with something like this:

You have informed me that you filed an incorrect legal document (the 1099-R) with the federal government (the IRS) and that you are refusing to correct it.

If you will not correct it, I will be forced to inform the IRS of your refusal to correct the legal document that you filed with them.  Are you sure you want me to do that?  You may want to discuss that with the company's lawyers before responding to me.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

Paid it off, to where/whom? Where is the money now and is there a Form 5498 for that repayment?

You might read on the differences between Deemed Distribution and Loan Offset:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r#en_US_2023_publink1000291962

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
dianejhart
Level 4

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. He paid the loan to his 401k in full before he left his job and he has paperwork to show the loan was paid in full. So it should not come in as taxable to him.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

"they said they dont issue correction"

That would tick me off.

I would have the client email HR, and if possible, "cc" the CEO, Vice President, etc. of the company with something like this:

You have informed me that you filed an incorrect legal document (the 1099-R) with the federal government (the IRS) and that you are refusing to correct it.

If you will not correct it, I will be forced to inform the IRS of your refusal to correct the legal document that you filed with them.  Are you sure you want me to do that?  You may want to discuss that with the company's lawyers before responding to me.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If all else fails, then file it with no tax due.  Explain in preparer notes. Return will likely result in a CP letter. Have the documentation on hand to respond to the CP and provide proof that transaction was not taxable.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
dianejhart
Level 4

Thank you!

0 Cheers
dianejhart
Level 4

Thank you! This was on the lines of my original fix for the issue!

0 Cheers