Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client has not filed since 2010. Do we have to file from 2011. Client has not received any IRS notifications.

holodeck
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

My motto "When in doubt - FILE". The statute of limitation does not even begin to run until the return is filed. Even if the 2010 is a simple little return, it is nice to close the door on that chapter of the clients life. This will also confirm that no one used the clients SSN to file a fraudulent tax return. DO YOU HAVE TO? Maybe not, but do it anyway. They have indirectly asked you for a professional answer, which I think is yes. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

My motto "When in doubt - FILE". The statute of limitation does not even begin to run until the return is filed. Even if the 2010 is a simple little return, it is nice to close the door on that chapter of the clients life. This will also confirm that no one used the clients SSN to file a fraudulent tax return. DO YOU HAVE TO? Maybe not, but do it anyway. They have indirectly asked you for a professional answer, which I think is yes. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
holodeck
Level 3
Thank you. Thank you.  Thank you. This answers my question.
0 Cheers