Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client got a 1099 MISC for a personal property (rented for less than 14 days). Should I just ignore it?

Golfer2016
Level 2

This is a property that she just had a management company manage although they just rented it out for 2 days.  We are calling it a personal property.  Should I just ignore the 1099?  The income is nontaxable, but to put the 1099 I have to link a Schedule E, which I don't want to do since it isn't a rental.  Thanks.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, you cant ignore it..why would it be non taxable?

Rents From Personal Property

If you rent out personal property, such as equipment or vehicles, how you report your income and expenses is generally determined by:

• Whether or not the rental activity is a business, and
  • Whether or not the rental activity is conducted for profit.

Reporting nonbusiness income. If you aren't in the business of renting personal property, report your rental income on Form 1040, line 21. List the type and amount of the income on the dotted line next to line 21.

Reporting nonbusiness expenses. If you rent personal property for profit, include your rental expenses in the total amount you enter on Form 1040, line 36. Also, enter the amount and "PPR" on the dotted line next to line 36.

If you don't rent personal property for profit, your deductions are limited and you can't report a loss to offset other income.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Oh, you say property management company, so was it a house that was rented? or personal property that was rented?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

What you mean is that it is real property, held for personal use.  I think all the IRS employees who work the CP-2000 program have gone home, and if they come back there will be criteria that suppress notices with less than (just guessing) $2,500 of rental income.  But others will suggest some sort of add-it-in-then-back-it-out concoction.  

Golfer2016
Level 2

It was her vacation home she rented out. 

0 Cheers
Golfer2016
Level 2

Yes rental property.  Since it was just a few days it wasn't taxable.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Where does it state this? "Since it was just a few days it wasn't taxable"

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Golfer2016
Level 2

It’s the “Masters rule”. If you rent out for 14 days or less, the rent isn’t taxable. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

But hasn't that been suspended this year?  

0 Cheers