Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client already filed her federal return on her own, can I just efile her state return ?

shf1957
Level 7

This new client had filed her federal return on the IRS site... then after not being able to file her NYS on the same site, came to me to see if I could prepare her NYS return.  I understand I had to re enter all her info and generate a federal return so I could do the NYS return... but how do I efile JUST the state return.  Should I just print this and have her mail it in?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alee-W
Employee
Employee

You can E-file just the New York return, without needing to E-file the federal along with it. In order to do that, You would mark the New York return for electronic filing on the Federal Information Worksheet, in Part VI. Then you would want to go to the EF Center, an highlight only the New York Return, and then follow your normal e-file procedure. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Alee-W
Employee
Employee

You can E-file just the New York return, without needing to E-file the federal along with it. In order to do that, You would mark the New York return for electronic filing on the Federal Information Worksheet, in Part VI. Then you would want to go to the EF Center, an highlight only the New York Return, and then follow your normal e-file procedure. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
And you are probably required to efile the NY return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers