Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clergy-Retired Housing Allowance?

So think most questions and responses I have seen on this topic are rather confusing and Incorrect.. I especially enjoy people who do not use ProSeries having actual provable knowledge with references in the response.

Here's the part I think is missing from all details on this topic-SUPPLEMENTARY SHEET #1-This is the form the church or issuer of 1099-R should be providing for any retired minister receiving benefits that are deemed not taxable due to this housing allowance. It is a basic form and although magically I can not FORCE SOFTWARE to write words SEE supplementary sheet 1 next to LINE as my CLIENT has instructed me to do, I do know that I calculated it correctly since only taxes due are on NON clergy funds received.  

The form is very straight forward and when added as PDF to return can be efiled. 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have been using the "Preparer Notes" (Which may be the only statement's that actually are included with the efile transmission) to include an appropriate disclosure of claiming the Retired Minister housing allowance exclusion from pensions for a number of years.

While I do not know if it is the "most correct method" none of taxpayers I have filed this way (several per year) have received any notice or question from the IRS.

It's working - I'm not messing with it.

ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

I'm running into the same thing.

I've seen this in other programs (i.e. prior year return done by another software), very nice statement outlining why the pension is not taxable.

How do we do this in ProSeries? I mean, yes, we all know why it isn't taxable. There really should be some statement to attach. QDC is easy enough to print there. Why not "See statement"? Am I missing something obvious?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I mean, yes, we all know why it isn't taxable."

Do we?

It has to qualify. A lot of times, people just assume it isn't taxable, but that's not true. It has to do with source of funds and how it is reported:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-discussions/discussion/how-to-enter-retired-m...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

Good point. If it doesn't qualify, it doesn't. But if it does, the IRS wants us to attach a statement outlining why it isn't taxable. Therefore, our tax software should enable us to attach said statement, and print a line on the form that says "see statement."

The question at hand is "How does ProSeries allow us to report stuff like this to the IRS?"

The question is not, "Is a minister's pension taxable or not." 

I'm not sure your post is really answering the right question here?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Intuit provides an Idea Exchange, where you post your suggestion and others can vote on whether it is a good idea to add to the software:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-idea-exchange/idb-p/603

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers