Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checking account debited using Proseries

candaceNY
Level 1

ow do I obtain proof that payment was accepted by the IRS?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dascpa
Level 11

Ask the client if the money came out of their bank account.

BobKamman
Level 15
sjrcpa
Level 15

I've seen that happen a number of times. Fortunately not adding an extra zero, just lopping one off.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

And then there was the elderly client who wrote me a check with "1100.00" on the number line but "Eleven and no/100" on the written line.  Not accustomed to such large amounts, I didn't notice nor did my assistant who prepares bank deposits.  A few days later, the bank informed me that my balance was $1089 less than what I expected.  

dascpa
Level 11

Previously posted. Client deposited $200.20.  Bank credited $200,200.00.  Eight months later client called and said bank never reversed their error.  Can he keep the money.  I explained the concept of bank fraud.  He was not a happy camper.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

In United States v. Page, No. 3:20-cv-08072 (D. Ariz. April 16, 2021) the court holds that a large erroneous refund the IRS sent to the taxpayer could not be recovered because the Department of Justice filed the erroneous refund suit too late

https://procedurallytaxing.com/late-filed-erroneous-refund-suit/ 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Although this error was in your client's favor, one would surely consider switching banks if after eight months the bank didn't know they'd made such a large error.   Yikes!

0 Cheers