Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a return after filed

Firehead
Level 2

Hi All

I changed numbers in a return because I thought I had filed an extension. Well, it turns out that I actually filed the return. How do I find out what the original filed return was? Do I need the 2848 and ask for a tax return transcript? Is there an easier way to get the transcript?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The client can create an online IRS account and request a tax return transcript.

Generally when you efile an extension youve left enough errors (since youve got missing information or youd be filing the return itself rather than an extension) that it wont let the actual return be filed...are you sure that's what happened?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Firehead
Level 2

Hi

Yes, they were sent on May 17 instead of an extension. The status says "Completed". I don't understand why the program isn't saying that numbers have changed since it was filed. Why isn't it saying that? I thought PS warned when numbers were changed from original filing. I added home office deductions. Thanks!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If they are an employee there is no deduction for home office expenses (except perhaps on the state return). Maybe that's why there is no change.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Look in your list of Forms in Use, do you see something that says

Original Amts
Original Return

Those would show what was originally filed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪