Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Form 5695-Intuit never should have submitted without error coding

Andrewpo
Level 2

Recently Admin DebH posted that due to changes in Form 5695 additional action is necessary. I need to express that once Intuit was aware of the changes they should not have merely deleted information entered on Form 5695 thus increasing the tax liability and allowing submission of the return to IRS with numbers differing from the Form 8879 signed by client. Rather, either the cost of the Solar project as entered on the original Form 5695 should not have been deleted, or it should have showed up as an error. Either way, the return was submitted with a lesser refund than the client anticipated, thus requiring an amended return to be filed. This makes the tax professional preparing the return look bad to the client. We pay dearly for software that is not only accurate but makes us appear favorable to our clients.

Andy Powers

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

OK, but the Preparer should also have looked at the return in the software before pushing the efile button.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"This makes the tax professional preparing the return look bad to the client"

Sorry, but they should look bad.  A preparer should always make sure that before he or she hits that send button, the numbers getting on the bus to the head to the IRS are the same numbers that were provided to the client.  It sucks that Intuit did that, but sometimes we have to look in the mirror and admit that we screwed up too. 

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Don't other preparers have to open the file to insert the PIN date that the client signed the 8879?  I actually use the date that the signed 8879 is finally in my possession, some people sign/date them then let them sit on their kitchen table a week before sending them back to me? 

Its at that point that you should be making sure the return matches the 8879.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Andrewpo
Level 2

It was within 24 hours and honestly I efiled from the EF Center client home page without opening the return as unually if there is anything changed on a form I would get a reject notification that something was missing or changed since the last save. My bad for not opening the return to check but this has never happened before where an entry that I made merely disappeared. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Never trust Intuit.  Also never trust your computer.  Your operating system could have had a hiccup or you could have had a power surged that mucked up your program.  Always verify before you hit send.

Slava Ukraini!

I trust my computer more than I trust Intuit.