Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in % Business Use of Rental Property

TonyCRI
Level 1

The first 10 years of an owner occupied 2 family residential rental property was depreciated on MACRS 27.5 years at 50% Basis.  The owner has now moved out at the beginning of 2021 and both units were rented.   Do I simply change the basis to 100% going forward?  Will the depreciation calculate correctly for the remaining 17.5 years?  

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
dkh
Level 15

Wouldn't the 50% portion that was principal residence begin in 2021 with 27.5yr depreciation?  In other words, leave the asset with the 50% basis that has been depreciating for the last ten years and setup a new asset with 50% basis that has a placed in service date of xx/xx/2021.

That's how I would handle if it was my client.

rbynaker
Level 13

I would have entered the original asset at 50% of basis used 100% for business.  For real estate the math ends up in the same place.  In your case I would consider cutting the basis in half and changing business use to 100% on the old rental asset.

Either way, then I would add a new asset for the other half of the unit.  Depreciable basis for the new unit is the lower of cost basis (50% of total if they are comparable) or FMV on date of conversion from personal property (in most cases that's original cost).  Use the date placed in service and this new asset will depreciate over its own 27.5 year period.  There may be other assets placed in service as well (improvements, appliances, etc.)

I would even consider putting this in a different Sch E column.  Makes it easier to unravel if/when the owner moves back in to one of the units later.

Rick