Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casualty Loss Gain of Schedule E rental property

williammpou
Level 1

Where do you report Schedule E Casualty Losses and Gains on rental property

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had a few of these back in 2017 with the CA wildfires (seems like forever ago!)....none of mine actually had a loss, we deferred the gain (1033 - involuntary conversion) until they could rebuild with the insurance money.

Form 4684 should have a place to mark it as business property, right?  I "think" that's how it worked.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
williammpou
Level 1

Thanks

0 Cheers
cera smile
Level 2

I have a client who had an involuntary conversion from the Campfire in 2018. She has rentals) We deferred the gain, giving her three years to reinvest the proceeds . Because of COVID restrictions, she was unable to get people to work for her in 2019 and 2020, preventing her from completing the improvements on the other income producing properties that she owns. Does anyone know if the three year deadline is solid or if there are any extensions to involuntary conversion reinvestments available. She did use up two thirds of the "income" but wasn't able to use the rest until this year, which lands outside of the initial deadline.( 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
federally declared disasters get 4 years...at least that's what I remember.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers