Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Efile Amended returns for 2021

DDANA
Level 3

If I did not Efile original Federal return in 2021 ProSeries Basic, I am unable to Efile 1040X amended return even though the checkbox for "Original return was successfully Efiled" was checked. May be related to origination date issue but Federal return stays in Ready state and Federal Amended return is in "Not Completed" state even though proper steps were taken to complete 1040x.

I am now forced to mail in these returns which seriously delays my clients refunds.

Also now worried same problem will exist in 2022 next time I need to amend a return I did not originate.

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive never had any issues Efiling an amended return whether I did the original or not....why so many people struggle Im not sure. 

How I amend a return that I didnt prepare/file the original.

Create a return with exactly the same info as the original, have the EF box marked for the original return.
Save, give it a file name and Exit.
Now re-open the same file and activate the 1040X by checking the YEAR box at the top.
If a state return needs to be amended, open the state an activate their amended form.
Go back to the federal return and make the changes needed and type in your explanation on the 1040X.
Go to the Fed info Worksheet and mark the 2 boxes to EF an amended return.
Save and exit to the EFcenter.
You should see the Federal Amended Return in the list.
Highlight it and hit the EFNow button on the toolbar.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Did you attempt to e-file it once, and it was rejected?  If so ProSeries screws that up (at least for some years).

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just had a 2021 amended rejected for the stupid PIN date I forgot to change, corrected and resent, no issues, but I have seen other people say they couldnt resend after a rejection, I dunno what happens.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Out of curiosity, was the PIN date one an IRS rejection?  Or was it an Intuit rejection?

The one I couldn't re-file was 2020.  I've seen others say they redo the return, but mine was too complex so I had the taxpayer mail it.

At any rate, it seems that ProSeries has some quirks with e-filing Amended returns.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I didnt have to disable error checking, it came back as a rejection, but I didnt pay attention to if it was an automatic Intuit rejection or an actual IRS rejection.

0 Cheers
DDANA
Level 3

Appears to be IRS rejection

Code: IND-463

Error Detail: If 'AmendedReturnInd' in return is checked, then form 1040-X must be present in the return

Again this same scenario where I did not Efile original return Rejecting has happened twice so far. Also, 1040x is completed correctly but remains in status "Not completed" while 1040 is in Ready status

ProSeries support tried everything she could think of to correct this issue to no avail.

0 Cheers
DDANA
Level 3

I sent with error checking disabled to avoid the ridiculous Pin date error

IRS reject Code: IND-463

Err Detail: If AmendedReturnInd in return is checked, then form 1040-X must be present in the return

0 Cheers
DDANA
Level 3

I followed that procedure to the tee

The 1040 status becomes "Ready" while the 1040 Amended remains in "Not Completed" status

Then you have the PIN date issue that forces you to Efile via menu (not via the return) to disable error checking.

I too have no problems Efile amended return that I originally filed just not the two I did not originaly Efile

Tech support tried and failed to resolve

0 Cheers
TimRote
Level 2

IND-463 error, when following the steps. 

If [ 'AmendedReturnInd' or 'SupersdedReturnInd' ] in the return is checked, then Form 1040
-X must be present in the return.

Form 1040x is present in the return. Appears to be trying to file the return and amended return at the same time. 

Had customer service on for half an hour. No resolution. Unacceptable. 

0 Cheers
TimRote
Level 2

Was told today that the IND-463 error is an IRS reject code generated when the amended return does not have an original efile code associated with the file. In a case where you did not prepare and efile the original return the efile of the amended return will always reject. 

0 Cheers
DDANA
Level 3

Thank you for that insight. However, why does Proseries claim you can now (since 2021) amend tax returns that we did not originally file?  The box "This return was successfully Efiled" appears to be bogus!

Why would ProSeries mislead us like that?

0 Cheers