Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use 2020 income for 2021 EIC calculation?

Colmatt
Level 5

Can you use 2020 income to calculate 2021 EIC if better?  EIC worksheet is pulling 2020 income when it asks to check if want to use 2019 income.  In this case the client did not have 2019 income anyway.

All the forms and instructions only indicate you can use 2019 income.

Thanks in advance.

Colmatt

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
sjrcpa
Level 15

2019 is correct. The software is pulling the wrong number.

This has been mentioned here before.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I posted this where a Mod will see it quicker....I predict we'll be seeing some unhappy preparers that trusted the software and didnt notice the figure was wrong in here complaining loudly that their client refunds are hung up in processing and its Intuits fault.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
djtenn2000
Level 3

I'm confused.  Are you saying the software is doing it correctly by asking for 2019 income, instead of 2020?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You can only use the 2019 earned income for the look back, not 2020.

If the software is pulling the 2020 figure, thats bad.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
djtenn2000
Level 3

I'm just noticing this post and I'm confused as to what you guys are saying is wrong.  The 2021 EIC worksheet says that you cannot use 2020 income.  You can only use 2019. The form is populating correctly in Pro-Series. Are ppl manually changing that number to the 2020 income instead?  If so, that's definitely not correct.

0 Cheers
Colmatt1
Level 3

No. I’m saying the software asks for the 2019 income, but this client didn’t have 2019 income, so the program pulled the 2020 income automatically.

Colmatt1
Level 3

It is so a little worrisome. 

0 Cheers
Colmatt1
Level 3

Ok…guess will have to be extra careful and correct until ProSeries fixes. 

djtenn2000
Level 3

I'm using Pro-Series Professional. It is pulling the 2019 income correctly.

0 Cheers
Colmatt1
Level 3

But I didn’t have 2019 income so it just pulled 2020. On other clients who did have 2019 it pulled correctly. 

Colmatt
Level 5

No manual change, the program automatically put the 2020 info.

0 Cheers
RUSS-KY-TAX
Level 2

it is pulling the correct 2019 earned income for several of my clients. no issues here.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the delayed response as we research multiple topics. What line is the 2020 income is showing on? 

0 Cheers
Colmatt
Level 5

No problem,  I just circumnavigate when needed.  It is the same line it pulls the 2019 correctly to.  Only happens when there is no 2019 return in my system.  Not in system right now so can't get the line #.