Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you correct Pro Series allowing a cousin to be claimed as Other dependent tax credit. Publication 17, page 32 says they must live with the taxpayer for 12 months.

rebecca765
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

First off ... The program does not have an option to enter "cousin", you would mark it as "other".

Second, the program does not make the determination if a person qualifies as a dependent; you make that determination.

When you enter the number of months, that field is only for EIC purposes.  Again you are the one the needs to determine if a person qualifies as a dependent, and therefore you would NOT enter a person that does not qualify as a dependent.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

First off ... The program does not have an option to enter "cousin", you would mark it as "other".

Second, the program does not make the determination if a person qualifies as a dependent; you make that determination.

When you enter the number of months, that field is only for EIC purposes.  Again you are the one the needs to determine if a person qualifies as a dependent, and therefore you would NOT enter a person that does not qualify as a dependent.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"Can you correct Pro Series allowing a cousin to be claimed as Other dependent tax credit."

A cousin could live with you all year.....why would they need to correct being a cousin?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rebecca765
Level 1
It was hard to put in the question in the number of characters.  A cousin is Other, but must live with you all year to qualify as a dependent plus other requirements.  I didn't realize the Codes for Lived with You were only for EIC.  I knew the cousin didn't qualify for the Other Dependent tax credit.  Helpful to know.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You have plenty of room for characters.  You posted your whole question in what really is the header for the question.  As you move down the page, there is an area to "add" information as part of your submission.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rebecca765
Level 1
LOL, my bad.  I just wanted to let Intuit know I thought there was something wrong.  Garbage in, garbage out as they say!  I didn't claim the cousin for the client.  I knew they didn't qualify because they hadn't lived with the client all 12 months.
0 Cheers