Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we proforma practitioner pin

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Can we proforma practitioner pin

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
itonewbie
Level 15

If you're referring to the third party designee PIN, I can see the convenience of proforma.

For security considerations, nevertheless, we have starting randomly assigning PIN's for different clients.  In the event a return falls into the wrong hands (not through our faults, obviously), this reduces the chance criminals being able to use that PIN along with the designee name to impersonate us to access other taxpayers' data, however remote the chance may be.  Call me paranoid 😂

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The ERO Practitioner PIN is set in the Firm/Preparer Options screen.

If you check the box for 3rd party designee it should automatically pull that same PIN into that screen as well.

If you want all returns to have that 3rd party box checked automatically, you can Edit the Client Template (From within a client file  Tools > Edit Client Template), this will only affect new client returns, but will carryover every year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

The ERO Practitioner PIN is set in the Firm/Preparer Options screen.

If you check the box for 3rd party designee it should automatically pull that same PIN into that screen as well.

If you want all returns to have that 3rd party box checked automatically, you can Edit the Client Template (From within a client file  Tools > Edit Client Template), this will only affect new client returns, but will carryover every year.

As part of our process control, ERO PIN is the last thing we enter on the tax return and only when we are ready to e-file that particular return.  My personal preference is not to have the PIN automatically populated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@itonewbie  you can do whatever works for you, I was answering the OPs question. 

I personally see no reason to have to type the same PIN to every client return, so this works for me as well as many others I'm sure.

itonewbie
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- No worries, Lisa.  That's exactly just my opinion, not a reflection of how anyone should do it.

Thought I'd bring that up given the number of SOS messages we get every year from those who accidentally filed their clients' returns, asking whether they can stop the transmission and whether they should file a superseded or amended return.

Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

I have the PIN populate but enter the client's signature date as the last item before efiling.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Good point.  We populate the client's signature date just before e-filing too.

Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

I have the PIN populate but enter the client's signature date as the last item before efiling.

Yes, signature date stays blank until that signed 8879 is in my possession....cant accidently EF without that signature date!  And I take that opportunity when I open the return to input that signature date to make sure the end result on the return matches the 8879 and an update in the interim didnt make any changes.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Ditto @Just-Lisa-Now- 

Ex-AllStar
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

My pin is listed where you say but doesn't get pulled into returns.

0 Cheers