Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't e-file federal amendment

Jtax LLC
Level 3

I'm trying to e-file a federal amendment for a client that I didn't prepare the original for.  I clicked the box that says the federal return was successfully e-filed, but it still won't let me e-file the amendment.  Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
taxshack
Level 5

Which year are you trying to amend?  I know 2019 only allows you to amend electronically if you did the return.  2020 is the first year you can amend if somebody else did the return.

Preparing taxes is not my life, but my life is amazing because I prepare taxes.
0 Cheers
Jtax LLC
Level 3

0 Cheers
taxshack
Level 5

What is the error you are getting?

0 Cheers
Jtax LLC
Level 3

No error, just when I click to e-file, the Federal Amendment is blurred out and it says Federal Return not Completed.

0 Cheers
taxshack
Level 5

Okay.  I can't think of a reason it would do that.  You may have to call Proseries.  My only thought is - did you enter all of the return information as originally filed and then save it before opening the 1040X and entering the amended information?  Or did you just manually enter the original numbers on 1040X with the amended numbers?

0 Cheers
taxshack
Level 5

Also did you check online to make sure the original 2021 return was actually processed by the IRS?

0 Cheers
Jtax LLC
Level 3

I just deleted everything and started over....that worked!  Thanks!

0 Cheers
taxshack
Level 5

Sadly sometimes that is the only solution.  Glad it worked out.  Good luck for the final stretch here!

0 Cheers
ptax255
Level 5

I'm having the same issue. Anyone knows another workaround besides starting over?

0 Cheers