Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can out of pocket nursing home payments be deducted as a medical expense on Schedule A?

marteburrow
Level 1
can out of pocket nursing home (not in home) payments be deducted as a medical expense on Schedule A?
0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

If they are medically necessary. https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2021_publink1000178972

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

I love the "medically necessary" requirement.  So am I missing something or do folks go to nursing homes because they couldn't get the tickets they wanted to go on spring break?

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

There are some who are in nursing homes for reason other than medical. They are there for mental reasons. I do not know how it is in your state but here in Illinois a few years back they closed many mental institutions and dumped them on the Nursing Homes.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

"Medical" includes mental health.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I suspect the "medically necessary" part is to try to separate a traditional "nursing home" (primary purpose is medical) from an "assisted living" situation (primary purpose is lodging, but has medical assistance).

rcooley25
Level 11

I respect your opinion but I dont agree with it.

0 Cheers