Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still take bonus dep in 2018 on 1120S Corp tax return in addition to taking credit of 7500 on K1or its double dipping?

ygusani
Level 1

S corp owner buys a electric plug in car using company's fund for 100% business use. I took a credit of 7,500 on K-1 which will flow thru the personal return. If I took a credit already then do I have to reduce the basis for the depreciation? By the way, ProSeries doesn't support the form 8936. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, the credit reduces Basis.

Yes, you can take Bonus depreciation on the rest of the cost (assuming it otherwise qualifies for Bonus depreciation).

ProSeries supports 8936 for Form 1040.  Are you saying it isn't in the S-corporation program?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, the credit reduces Basis.

Yes, you can take Bonus depreciation on the rest of the cost (assuming it otherwise qualifies for Bonus depreciation).

ProSeries supports 8936 for Form 1040.  Are you saying it isn't in the S-corporation program?

0 Cheers
ygusani
Level 1
Thank you very much. That is what I thought so. You are correct! Pro series 1040 supports it but I couldn't find in 1120S and when I called Proseries. they told me that program doesn't support the form 8936.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

See §30D(f)(1) and (2).  You can't have the cake and eat that too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
ygusani
Level 1
Thanks for your answer. I would like to review the section indicated. So far my research indicates I should be able to take credit and bonus dep., but trying to solidify my research
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The "owner" either bought this or the Corporation bought this. Using Corporate Funds doesn't make it a Corporate vehicle, by definition. Intending to use a personal vehicle 100% for Business doesn't make it a Corporate vehicle, either. And if it is not owned by the corporation, it isn't part of the 1120S; the Shareholder turns in Mileage log reports to be reimbursed at IRS standard mileage rate.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers