Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I re e-file a tax return that has already been e-filed and accepted by the irs?

kjpinsky
Level 2
I have a client that received a letter from the IRS stating that they didn't receive his 2019 tax return and that he is to mail in a new copy.  However, due to the backlog at the IRS, I would not recommend mailing anything to them. Am I able to e-file again a return that has already been e-filed?
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Only as an amended return.

If it was efiled and accepted there is no need to mail the return. You need to shoe show the IRS the efile acceptance.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

Only as an amended return.

If it was efiled and accepted there is no need to mail the return. You need to shoe show the IRS the efile acceptance.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did you e-file his 2019 return, or did client just tell you he did. If you did not efile it, I would give it a try, as it can't hurt. If you did e-file the 2019 return you will have have a form 9325 in the clients file showing date and submission ID

IRonMaN
Level 15

I can't say that I have ever disagreed with a post from Susan, but I think I will this time.  I wouldn't recommend shoeing an IRS agent.  They might get mad and maybe even charge you with assault for throwing your shoe at them.  Especially if your shoe happens to be a steel toed boot. 😜

Slava Ukraini!
kjpinsky
Level 2

And you would have PETA after you for throwing turtles...and that is just not nice for the turtles either. 😉

kjpinsky
Level 2

Yes, the tax return was e-filed and accepted, that's why it made no sense that the IRS is requesting that a return be sent.  I will fill out the form for the client to be able to present to the IRS agent when the client goes to our local office.  Thank you all for your prompt advice!

sjrcpa
Level 15

I fixed my typo.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

😀

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I learned this weekend from the best restaurant reviewer in the world that there is a pastry called “choux.” It is pronounced “shoe.” “Choux pastry, or pâte à choux, is a delicate pastry dough used in many pastries. It contains only butter, water, flour, and eggs. Instead of a raising agent, it employs high moisture content to create steam during cooking to puff the pastry. The pastry is used in many European and European-derived cuisines.” You knew that, of course. But I was past 60 before I learned how a French press works. (Thought it had something to do with printing those risque post cards.)

Oddly enough, “choux” is the word for cabbage. Get it? Cabbage >>> Cream Puff. Non? Neither do I.

Oh, about that 2019 return.  Was it a refund or balance due?  If balance due, did he pay it?  Did they cash the check?  He's been waiting for a bill all this time?  If a refund, he didn't notice it went undeposited?  Maybe just a zero balance.  I doubt they'll take it at the IRS office.  Just more carbon emissions.  Stay home and enjoy a slice of shoo-fly pie instead.  

kjpinsky
Level 2

There was a payment due which the client paid at the time of the return being e-filed. The letter from the IRS stated that payments are being received and posted to his 2019 tax year, and now they are waiting for him to send in a tax return.... The IRS has also been posting his estimated payments for 2021 to his 2019 tax year even though the client includes a payment voucher with each quarterly payment AND writes "2021 Est. Pymt" on each payment.

Apparently, the IRS is working through the pandemic "leftovers": I have had at least four clients in the past week receive letters that make no sense in reference to their 2019 taxes.

0 Cheers