Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have my client electronically sign a Paper Filing ?

wallstreetkris
Level 2

Greetings 

I am filing a paper tax return and would like to know if I can have the client electronically sign paper tax return?

Thanks in advance 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
GodFather
Level 8

How can that be done exactly?  Send them a pdf of the return and ask them to sign using adobe, or to print, sign and pdf it back to you?  Is that what you're referring to?  If so, I can't imagine the IRS would scrutinize it that closely.  After all, 8879's have an electronic signature on them in most instances. 

dkh
Level 15

Why can't you send the return to the client and let them be responsible for signing and mailing?

sjrcpa
Level 15

IRS will not accept an electronic or photocopied signature on a paper filed 1040.

They'll reject it and send it back.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Once I get a paper return in the client's little grubby hands, they are now in control of the return.  They are in charge of signing and mailing the return.  What processing system do you have that you would be needing an electronic signature?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN A client asked me to hold her hand and walk her to the post office, so she can mail her return. I told her okay, and then I Unleashed Heidi on her @$$ and she sprinted to that post office on her own. Just joking...😉🐕

dkh
Level 15

@PATAX  you are funnylaugh with hand.png

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh thanks dkh. We have to laugh at this time of the year.

IRonMaN
Level 15

This is tax season -------------------- nobody is allowed to laugh ------------------------ this is serious stuff!  I might have to go find someplace else to hang out if you people aren't going to take this stuff as seriously as me.😐

Slava Ukraini!