Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I fine a short year 2022 Form 1041 using Proseries 2021?

BJK2022
Level 1

I have a client who is terminating their trust within the month and wants to have their 2022 short year returns done right away.  Can I file a short year 2022 Form 1041 wiht Proseries 2021?  And if yes, how to I do that?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You would need to override anything to comply with 2022 tax law (which may change over the next 6 months), print the return, cross out "2021" and write "2022", and file by mail.  If tax law changes in the next 6 months and it would affect the tax return, you may need to amend it later.

Due to the extra work and hassle, you would need to charge the client a larger fee.

It would probably be better to file an extension and e-file in January or February.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You would need to override anything to comply with 2022 tax law (which may change over the next 6 months), print the return, cross out "2021" and write "2022", and file by mail.  If tax law changes in the next 6 months and it would affect the tax return, you may need to amend it later.

Due to the extra work and hassle, you would need to charge the client a larger fee.

It would probably be better to file an extension and e-file in January or February.

BJK2022
Level 1

Thank you.

0 Cheers