Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I efile State returns for a customer that already completed his federal on his own?

shf1957
Level 7

I have a client that already efiled his own federal return using turbo tax for 2020 and 2021, but never filed a state return.  The reason is because he has 4 state returns to do for both years.   Can I efile the state returns with out a federal return being efiled?   I have completed both years and all the states, but don't know if this is possible since the state usually gets sent after they have accepted the federal.   PLEASE HELP!   Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in helping with this important matter.

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
dkh
Level 15

I know you can efile an Indiana state return without first efiling federal.  I don't know that it is possible to do for all states.   Can I ask which states you are dealing with?

After you prepare federal and state returns select EFNow  - it will open a window where you can check just the state returns

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

It depends on the state -- a minority only allow e-filing if the federal and state are bundled together.

But I just e-filed a CA non-resident return for TY 2020 for a client on a stand alone basis earlier this week.  You likely will be able to do it.

shf1957
Level 7

I will be efiling non resident for PA, NJ, CONN, and VT.  Also efiling NYS as a resident.  This will need to be done for both years...same states.

0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

Resident for NYS and non-resident for VT, NJ, CONN and MA.    For both years.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

theres only a few that piggyback on the fed....looks like you should be ok.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/state-e-file-methods-stan...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 13

I file in all of those states. You should be good.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
geezer
Level 3

hi shf1957!

did VT prompt a filing by sending out a notice? I am trying to help a client with similar prior year non filing issue for VT. I posted my query to the board last week but no replies. thanks for your input! steve a/k/a geezer

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

As others already said.

From a process standpoint, you can so long as those are Standalone or State Only returns.  You can check this article for each state's e-file method:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/state-e-file-methods-stan...

From a professional practice standpoint, I would hesitate doing that unless I'm 100% certain that the federal return is complete as accurate because state returns would, inevitably, start with numbers from and positions taken on a self-prepared federal return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
geezer
Level 3

hey ito,

my question is does VT eventually issue an assessment against a non resident who did not file a non resident return in a prior year? or does it slip through the cracks? probably only an in state VT practitioner knows the answer.

I am not concerned with the mechanics of filing a previous year return. if you see my post of last week it may be more clear. I am not real adept at searching in this forum so if you need me to copy and paste that post for you just let me know.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

With the file open select Efile now...it will indicate that the Fed has been filed and the State is ready to file. If the State/s is greyed out you may have to check the State site to determine whether it can be efiled on it's own.

0 Cheers
geezer
Level 3

Thanks but you answered a question I didn't ask. I don't need to know the mechanics. I have been using turbotax/proseries since 1984. I am looking for practical experience with the VT DOR approach to non filing by non residents. As a tax attorney, I evaluate some issues from a risk assessment perspective not just compliance. Being a CPA before attending law school gave me a unique perspective in tax courses. The professors would employ the Socratic method on the herd and then ask me for the right answer. It was a blast. ahhh, the good ol' days.

0 Cheers
Kande
Level 1

this is not working, it keeps erroring out no federal return 

anyone have any other ideas? I am in a State only state and can't get assistance with Technical support

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Did you efile the federal tax returns for both of those years.

I am trying to understand whether it is you or another  tax preparer why or under what circumstances if the federal returns were e filed why the states were not filed.

When you are doing the federal you are doing the state also.

I just prepared a tax return last week that I hade to filed 5 state tax returns for 2022.

There was no problem.

0 Cheers
Kande
Level 1

taxpayer files seperately on Montana return, so i cant piggyback on the federal 

it needs to go by itself, 

in my other items, federal return was rejected and needed to be paperfiled, MT is a state only state, but i won't let me efile it 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Now I understand. I did not know about the federal rejection.

0 Cheers