Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I efile Federal w/ refund and State w/ balance due but make no payment on State and send taxpayer the voucher to mail

Summit1
Level 5

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

@Summit1 wrote:

can I just e-file the Federal and then e-file the State when the taxpayer has the funds

That may depend on the state.  Some states are piggyback-only so they have to go with the federal return.

If your client is flaky on payment, I'd file state with federal and give them a voucher and/or instructions to make their state payment online directly.  Or charge accordingly for the hassle they're going to give you later trying to track them down just to file their state return with payment.  But I'm in the tax preparation business, not in the payment processing business, so I may be biased (and certainly jaded!)

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes

Ex-AllStar
Summit1
Level 5

can I just e-file the Federal and then e-file the State when the taxpayer has the funds

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

You can efile both together. As long as TP pays by 4/17 it’s fine. I usually set up direct deposit of refund and auto payment for 4/15. Either way works fine.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@Summit1 wrote:

That may depend on the state.  Some states are piggyback-only so they have to go with the federal return.

If your client is flaky on payment, I'd file state with federal and give them a voucher and/or instructions to make their state payment online directly.  Or charge accordingly for the hassle they're going to give you later trying to track them down just to file their state return with payment.  But I'm in the tax preparation business, not in the payment processing business, so I may be biased (and certainly jaded!)

Rick