Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can boot be distributed and taxed at beneficiary level

icalgin
Level 2

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

Can you give more detail please ?  

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Sounds like you possibly have a trust.

You may need to study the trust document (possibly get a legal opinion) on whether the trust allows this type of transaction which may be a distribution of the trust corpus. (hope I got that last word right - been several years since I went to a trust seminar)

icalgin
Level 2

It's an irrevocable trust doing a 1031 exchange looking to take out some boot.  Normally capital gain is allocated and taxed to the trust as principal.  However, I thought there were some exceptions that allow cap. gain to be distributed, and therefore taxed to the beneficiary per sec. 1.643(a)(3).  1) reasonable exercise of discretion by trustee and 2)  three methods available to allocate cap. gain--one of which is to allocate to corpus but distribute to a beneficiary and appears to be a flexible option.  

In this case the benef. has an NOL carryforward to absorb the income whereas the trust does not.  

0 Cheers
icalgin
Level 2

This would be a distribution of corpus.  I realize the trust doc would have to give the trustee discretionary power to distribute principal.  This would be a one-time occurrence.  This trust does not usually incur capital gain income

0 Cheers