Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a W2 employee (PHYSICIAN) who purchased a 6000 pound vehicle and uses it for business use the 179 deduction? If so, would I connect it to a Schedule C? Thank you

dianejhart
Level 4
They do not use a Schedule C and are a W2 employee. I believe they can take the deduction Im just not sure how.
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

no employee business expenses under current law.  *except for some states that allow it, but not for federal

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

no employee business expenses under current law.  *except for some states that allow it, but not for federal

PATAX
Level 15

Is the good doctor still making house calls?😉

dianejhart
Level 4

Thank you all!

qbteachmt
Level 15

For someone who comes across this later:

"If so, would I connect it to a Schedule C?"

There is no Sched C for the job where the person is an employee being paid under a W2. They are an employee. They would be turning in a business mileage report to their employee to be reimbursed at mileage allowance rates under An Accountable Plan (specifically, google this). That rate includes a depreciation component, already.

If they have another "side hustle" business outside of their employment which results in filing a Sched C as part of the 1040, then only that part of the vehicle use is included in that Sched C. It is compartmentalized into that business function, for using that vehicle as a resource to doing that specific business. In general, since that makes this a shared vehicle across a third function at this point, that is another reason to consider mileage allowance rates for the Sched C, and that means, No, the depreciation is already factored into that rate.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers