Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a return be efiled with code z in box 12 of Form W-2?

pwilson13
Level 3

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
What does Code Z stand for?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
pwilson13
Level 3

Income under a nonqualified deferred compensation plan that fails to satisfy section 409A.  This is the first time I have run across this, any help would be appreciated.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yea, I dont think Ive seen one of these, but I feel like people have asked about it before....looks like PS doesnt support the calculations, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.  How much money are we talking about?

codez.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
pwilson13
Level 3

Box 12 Code Z shows $1082.84

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Z – Income under a nonqualified deferred compensation plan that fails to satisfy Section 409A. This amount is also included in Box 1 and is subject to an additional 20% tax plus interest. See Form 1040 instructions, Schedule 2, line 17h, Other Taxes, for more information."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
pwilson13
Level 3

Thanks everyone for your input!  The client got back to me this morning and said a corrected W-2 is in the works, without Code Z (yay!!)  Hopefully this information will help someone else that runs into this issue. Doing research on this issue was not wasted, no education ever is, but I would have preferred not to do it in the middle of the season!

0 Cheers