Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Trust Form 541

BobKamman
Level 15

OK, you Golden State Tax Warriors.  What would you do with a trust that has an Arizona resident trustee and a California resident beneficiary?  If it makes a difference, the grantor was an Arizona resident when the trust was established but is now also a California resident.  

And the trust has taxable income, because of capital gains.  There is no real estate, all of the assets are stocks and bonds. 

Will California credit Arizona taxes owed?  If so, am I correct that ProSeries doesn't have the Schedule S for trust returns, so it has to be done the old-fashioned way?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

The situs of the Trust is AZ per the Trust Document?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

So the capital gains should be taxed to AZ, shouldn't they? Even though CA has the stupid rule about having to file a return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

But are they also taxed to California, because that's where the beneficiary now resides?  I thought I solved this puzzle a year ago, but now I'm having doubts.  And I have another trust return with the same situation.  I did both an AZ return and  CA return.  CA allowed a Schedule S credit (which I prepared manually) but there was still tax owed to CA.   The amounts involved aren't much -- less than $100 in one case, less than $500 in another -- but they could be higher in a better year.  

0 Cheers