Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CALIFORNIA RETURN AND FORM 1116

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi to all. I filed 1116 in federal return but I did not find any tax credit in California return. Now, California tax owe is more than federal. I was wondering California does not conform to the federal rules for foreign tax credit? I need help. I am super eager to learn.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Most states do not give a credit for foreign tax paid.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Most states do not give a credit for foreign tax paid.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
No foreign tax credit for CA.

Spidell is a great place for Ca state CE classes if youre eager to learn more about CA and their conformity to Federal.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
HOPE2
Level 8

I do not know how can I thank you, you are always helpful person.

BobKamman
Level 15

I don't know about the "most states" part. I know California does not, and that Arizona does. That often results in taxpayers paying foreign tax once and getting credit for it twice. Enough to make some wealthy investors in foreign companies move to Arizona, although Nevada or Texas is usually their choice.

When you think about it, why should the state allow any credit? Most of the returns I prepare show a full credit for the foreign tax paid, which is under the $300/$600 cap for avoiding Form 1116. Taxpayers get their money back that way. California (and probably other states) doesn't allow a deduction for federal tax. Foreign tax is just another federal tax, just not a US tax.