Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Qualified Casualty Loss

ljsmith2
Level 4

Hello,

My client sustained damage from a California winter storm in a Federally declared Qualified disaster area.  Does California conform to the $500 haircut with no AGI reduction? (i.e. add to Standard Deduction)

I have filled out the Federal form 4684 and included the FEMA disaster declaration number that qualifies the loss to be an addition to the Standard Deduction. Everything looks good until I get to the California tax return.

Instead of carrying over the $500 'haircut' like the Federal return, it automatically inputs $100 and reduces the loss by 10% AGI with the remaining allowable loss as an addition to Itemized Deductions.

Line 11, Form 4684 (Calif) says "($500 if qualified disaster loss rules apply; see instructions)"

There is a California Disaster Code (141) but I do not see anywhere to input.   The 'Disasters' box has been checked on the Information Worksheet and an explanation entered.

I am unable to find any information in the  instructions on California Form 4684 or how, or if, California applies the disasters the same way.

Your help is appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You may have to drag out the CA instructions booklet for this.   All my CA disaster victims were from the wildfires and were made whole by insurance, so I havent had any disaster losses to take on the returns.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/misc/1034.pdf

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers