Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business e-file shutdown

IRonMaN
Level 15

Mark 12/26/23 on your calendar:

Business MeF Production Shutdown Schedule

Shutdown for "Send Submissions" only is scheduled to begin at 11:59 a.m. (noon) Eastern time, Tuesday, December 26, 2023.

Transmitters can continue to use the other service requests except "Send Submissions" until 11:59 p.m. (midnight) Eastern time, Tuesday, December 26, 2023.

States can continue to use all the service requests necessary to retrieve and process state submissions in accordance with shutdown activities stated above. MeF recommends that states adjust their processing schedule in order to retrieve submissions in time to validate returns and submit acknowledgements.

Any acknowledgements not retrieved by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 26th cannot be accessed until MeF opens for production in January 2024.

Slava Ukraini!
17 Comments 17
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

good. just had somoene call.. owns a C corp...has not filed since 2000.  if i take this on (meeting with him monday) depending on conditon of books (that is if there are books).  often situations like this there are no books or usable books.. will resconstruct from bank statements and payroll reports (hopefully they outsourced payroll and did not do their own payroll)

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio Jim do yourself a favor and stay away from that. I wouldn't touch it with a 100 ft Pole, but you do what you want to.

abctax55
Level 15

Good info... I have a 2020 S-Corp I'd love to sneak in before the deadline.

AND - To maybe head off angst/issues on that deadline day - doesn't Intuit usually shuts it down a few hours before that IRS cut-off?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I almost added the Intuit early shutoff, but with a noon shutdown by the IRS I wasn't sure what Intuit would use for a cutoff time.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I can only imagine how messy this will be.  I take on more returns that I really should.  Being self employed, which I know many others here are also, saying no is something I always had trouble doing even though I don't even need the revenue:)

abctax55
Level 15

Well, maybe just maybe they'll tell us?  Like they did last time?  Which, many folks seem to not notice when Intuit *does* tell us.   

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Jim... I feel your pain and I've become really good at saying 'no'.

This one, unfortunately, is a decades-long client who became a friend.  She got way, way behind; I'm going to help her catch up.  Then she has to stay current, or it is bye, bye, bye.

And even with the long term relationship.... a large retainer is in place.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

If Intuit decided to give away $100,000,000 by randomly notifying 100 folks through the alert function that they had won $1,000,000, I would guess that it would only cost Intuit $20,000,000 because 80 of those folks would never claim the money because they never saw the notification. 

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Intuit will probably shut it down early on Christmas Eve.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

An Intuit Christmas gift to all of its customers 🎅🏼

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

If Intuit decided to give away $100,000,000 by randomly notifying 100 folks through the alert function that they had won $1,000,000, I would guess that it would only cost Intuit $20,000,000 because 80 of those folks would never claim the money because they never saw the notification. 

In my opinion, Intuit is largely at fault for that.  A lot of the "alerts" are not particularly important.  A few years back, there was even one that was an ADVERTISEMENT for Quickbooks.  So it is like the "Little Boy That Cried Wolf" - people tend to tune them out when they are bombarded with dumb "alerts".

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, but it only takes a second to glance to see if it is something worthwhile 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit shutdown is going to ruffle a few feathers:

IRS annual e-file closures

The IRS normally shuts down their e-file servers in November and December to prepare for the upcoming tax year. The Intuit Electronic Filing Center will stop accepting e-file transmissions shortly before the IRS shutdown to help ensure that all sent returns are received by the agency.

Return type IRS closes Intuit closes
Business 12/26/2023 at 9AM PST 12/21/2023 at 6 PM PST
Individual (1040) 11/18/2023 at 9PM PST 11/18/2023 at 5 PM PST

*Intuit will stop transmissions before the IRS to ensure that all returns in our system have time to process before the shutdown.

Tax year 2020 individual returns will not be able to be e-filed during the shutdown. E-Filing for all 2020 returns will be shut down on 12/20/2023 at 6 PM PST.

Tax year 2021 and 2022 individual returns will not be able to be e-filed during the shut down but will resume when the IRS re-opens for the tax year 2023 filing season. Tax year 2021 and 2022 business returns will be able to be sent to the Intuit servers but will not be forwarded to the IRS until e-filing resumes in January.

California is the only state that can be e-filed during the IRS shutdown.

As a side note, why did a 2 week old Intuit notice just pop up as an alert in my software today?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

"As a side note, why did a two week old Intuit notice just pop up as an alert in my software today?" Rip Van Winkle now works for Intuit?😉

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm sorry I woke him.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Intuit shutdown is going to ruffle a few feathers:

As a side note, why did a 2 week old Intuit notice just pop up as an alert in my software today?

It probably would have ruffled fewer feathers if they had actually given the notice two weeks ago.

The timing makes sense.  Intuit employees aren't going to be working, so they are shutting down before everybody is off of work.

The sentence about 2020 is a bit odd.  Are they shutting that down a day earlier, or is that a typo?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Communication has never been one of Intuit’s strong points

Slava Ukraini!