Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Activity Code 611610

jennisbsvb
Level 3

UPDATE - Code 611610 and 791100 work on 1065 and Sch C. Does NOT work on 1120 and 1120S. If it was a code error, it wouldn't work for some and not for others. 

Dance Studio clients who have used 611610 as the Business Activity code receiving error that the code is invalid for 2022. This code has been used for 10+ years and IRS codes have not changed. Pro Series is saying I need to pick from their "list" of business activity codes, yet none apply appropriately. The 711 series available is not even close to their activity description.

Anyone else have this problem and what is your fix?

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

NAICS has this for dance studios

https://www.naics.com/sic-industry-description/?code=7911

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@jennisbsvb wrote:

611610 as the Business Activity code

IRS codes have not changed.

As far as I can tell, that code has NEVER been part of the IRS codes.

jennisbsvb
Level 3

Thank you for the reply, the 7911- series gives an error also. 

0 Cheers
jennisbsvb
Level 3

Thank you for the reply, the 7911- series gives an error also. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Have you looked at the list in the Instructions?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just opened a dummy return, and put the 791100 bus code into the box on Sch C, no error. 

Is thisa Sch C? or a different entity type?

jennisbsvb
Level 3

It is an Scorp. I pulled over another client Scorp dance studio and received the same error.

Both 791100 and 611610 work just fine on a Sch C and Partnership.

Does not work on 1120S or 1120.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It is a state error?   

I dont get an error on the federal 1120S for that 791100 number, but California sure doesn't like it!  The error says to reference the 100S handbook   

WTH is a 100S handbook?

buscodeerror.png

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

OK, the handbook is the instructions booklet, the closest Im seeing in the instructions booklet is Performing Arts Companies 711100

These are really only used for statistical purposes, I dont know why they have to make it so hard.

jennisbsvb
Level 3

NAICS CODE 1065.PNGNAICS CODE 11220S.PNGIt's Federal. Here's an example: 

0 Cheers
jennisbsvb
Level 3

True, but they don't even come close to a Dance Company and true it's for statistics but I am hesitant to use a code that is wrong. And since it works on other types of returns, I know it's not the code that is wrong. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@jennisbsvb wrote:

but I am hesitant to use a code that is wrong. And since it works on other types of returns, I know it's not the code that is wrong. 

Why are you refusing to look at the Instructions?  They have a list of the IRS codes. The codes you have mentioned are NOT on the list, so they are invalid codes.

So really, the problem may be the Schedule C and 1065s are incorrectly not giving you an error code, because you are entering a number that is not on the list in the Instructions.

Lexi Conn
Level 2

Having a similar problem, no good fix. Type 990 would not allow the prior used business code 900002 on screen 18. Deleting removed the critical diagnostic for efliling..

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Lexi Conn wrote:

Having a similar problem, no good fix. Type 990 would not allow the prior used business code 900002 on screen 18. Deleting removed the critical diagnostic for efliling..

Where do you see that code in the list of codes in the IRS instructions?

0 Cheers
Lexi Conn
Level 2

Hi, the botom right corner- last on the list.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/18pf_business_codes.pdf

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Lexi Conn wrote:

Hi, the botom right corner- last on the list.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/18pf_business_codes.pdf

Sorry, I missed that this was a 990.  That link is for the 2018 Instructions, but that code is still on the 2022 Instructions as well, so I'm not sure why it isn't accepting that.

Most of the complaints I've seen this year about code problems (including the original poster in this thread) is because the code they were using is no longer valid in the current Instructions, but that doesn't seem to apply to you.