Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bank payment

prairiegourmet
Level 1

A week after efiling, client decides they don't want IRS payment auto. withdrawn from their bank account. Is there any way to change it now?  I told client to call IRS to cancel it. IRS told client efiler would have to stop it. Anyone know how to handle this?  Or are they just stuck with the withdrawal?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
catherine3
Level 3

I have the opposite problem. Client wants the EFT and I cannot get it to go through on IRS website. Maybe we need to trade clients!

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

There is a phone number on the 8879 they can call to cancel it. 

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Recommendation - stop paying client's taxes.  Too many things can go wrong and malpractice issues are not worth it.  The client can pay online through the IRS direct pay system.  Takes two minutes and saves you a lots of headaches like you both are having.

prairiegourmet
Level 1

I am not paying the client's taxes. The withdrawal is coming directly from their own bank account. Now they decided they want to pay via other method.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

[Sarcastic] duh... I know that, but you're facilitating the payment  I'm just giving advice from a 40-year preparer that it's not worth the headache.  I'm trying (sometime even successfully) to get my clients to take responsibility for this. 

prairiegourmet
Level 1

I gave them that number but they called the regular IRS number. I'm hoping another call will fix this for them. 

0 Cheers
prairiegourmet
Level 1

I've been doing taxes for over 45 years and this is a first for me that customer changed their mind about payment. 

0 Cheers