Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZ state filing for income that was earned in WA

Pioneer_Tax
Level 2

I have a client that worked in WA but is a resident of AZ.  According to AZ department of taxation, they have to pay AZ state income taxes on the income from WA.  Their W2 from the WA employer does not have an EIN and I have to put something in for an EIN (it is pink, which is causing an error.)  I called AZ tax department and they could not help me.  Can someone tell me what to do so I can e-file my client's tax return?  Greatly appreciated.  Victoria

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

Resident of AZ by being a domicile resident?  Or is your client one of those who spend weekdays working elsewhere and return to the home state every weekend?  A bit more context would be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Call the employer, or ask your client to do that.  He's not gong to get credit for the FICA wages if the W-2 is incomplete, and likely won't get credit from IRS for the tax withholding either.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Why wouldn't an AZ resident have to pay AZ tax on all their income, including some earned in Washington state?

Although Jensen raised unanswered questions about residency.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Maybe it's Western Australia and we're just assuming it's Washington.  

itonewbie
Level 15

Then, all the more we need to find out about the residency position...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you complete the resident./nonresident state section at the bottom of the Fed Info worksheet, it should stop the program from giving you grief about the W2 that doesnt include any WA state information.

PS:  that income will be fully taxable in AZ assuming he didnt officially change his residence to WA.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Like CA for California and Canada. That's tripped me up a few times.

Ex-AllStar