Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are tatoo artists considered SSTB. What's the opinion?

taxesbymetjr
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/1793641-qbi-and-sstb-would-the-following-qualify-...

Good question. I lean to yes on a one person shop. Possibly a no if its a multi-person shop. But thats only my opinion. I had one artist a couple years ago but not now.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/1793641-qbi-and-sstb-would-the-following-qualify-...

Good question. I lean to yes on a one person shop. Possibly a no if its a multi-person shop. But thats only my opinion. I had one artist a couple years ago but not now.

0 Cheers
taxesbymetjr
Level 3
Makes sense,  Many tatoo artists utilize the same shop , sort of like beauticians, but handle everything themselves.   
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, I don't see how it would qualify as a SSTB.

To me, it does not fit into any of the categories.  If you are thinking of the 'reputation or skill' one, the IRS has said in the Regulations that is extremely limited, and would not apply to tattoo artists.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/td-reg-107892-18.pdf#page=73

the term any trade or business where the principal asset of such trade or business is the reputation or skill of one or more of its employees or owners means any trade or business that consists of any of the following (or any combination thereof):

(A) A trade or business in which a person receives fees, compensation, or other income for endorsing products or services,
(B) A trade or business in which a person licenses or receives fees, compensation, or other income for the use of an individual’s image, likeness, name, signature, voice, trademark, or any other symbols associated with the individual’s identity,
(C) Receiving fees, compensation, or other income for appearing at an event or on radio, television, or another media format

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
That was my thought, Bill. I looked at the reputation/skill. I had a tattoo done on my leg that was based on the artists reputation and skill of the specific style I wanted. Im not overly convinced that its not but......Im not married to my opinion either.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I agree that a tattoo artist is definitely due to reputation and skill in normal definitions, but it is definitely NOT due to reputation and skill according the the Regulation definition.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Hmmmm...yes, I see the point made via the regs.  Re: performing arts, I assume they dont mean to include visual arts?
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
No, it definitely has the "performing" in there:

"means the performance of services by individuals who participate in the creation of performing arts, such as actors, singers, musicians, entertainers, directors, and similar professionals performing services in their capacity as such."
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Yes, I saw that too. I was trying to see if visual arts were a part of performing arts. I agree it does NOT state visual arts.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I think we had this discussion awhile back in regards to tattoos, taxidermy and I forget, was the third one crayon coloring?   Since this has been brought up a couple of times already, does the tattoo business pay that well that we are concerned about phase outs or are tattoo people really good at finding spouses that make good money?  That could be an art form in itself :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Good point.  I didn't realize that a tattoo artist's income could be over the $157,500/$315,000 threshold.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
The top guys could very well blow past those thresholds.....but good point. I assume the bulk of them dont come close.
0 Cheers
taxesbymetjr
Level 3
Thanks everyone for responding, a good Sunday question.  Keep everyone on their toes.  Good luck Monday the 28th...
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
:+1::+1:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers