Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are attorney fees to set up guardianship for parent due to dementia deductible?

Pablo
Level 3

Can these 2019 $10k fees be deducted? Schedule A Misc. Or perhaps as Medical

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

No

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

No

Slava Ukraini!
Pablo
Level 3

Thank you

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

From IRS Pub 502:

Legal Fees
You can include in medical expenses legal fees you paid that are necessary to authorize treatment for mental illness. However, you can't include in medical expenses fees for the management of a  uardianship estate, fees for conducting the affairs of the person being treated, or other fees that aren't necessary for medical care.

Pablo
Level 3

Thanks very much. It was a stretch on my part to consider it a medical expense 

0 Cheers
AngelaBlack
Level 1

Most likely, yes, the money is given from the pension, if I am not mistaken. But not every decrease in mental capacity should be considered dementia. As we know, the number of neurons decreases during adult life, which is irreversible. However, the reduction of human "computer" power is compensated by increasing the amount of information "recorded" in his memory, i.e., accumulated life experience, until a particular moment. Besides, despite the decrease in the number of neurons, the increase in the number of inter-neuron connections occurs during life. I know that most often, it is provided by home care. 

0 Cheers